I missed the train

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/55/4810955/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/content/55/4810955/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10

I went out last night to get some more shots of Amoriste at 229 (as described in my post from yesterday). After the gig, I went across the road with a couple of friends to a quiet pub for a drink. Actually, a couple of drinks, but who’s counting?

Nobody was counting, and when it was time for me to get back to Liverpool Street to catch the last train at 00:50, I missed the train. Long, boring story (note to self: check the timings for the last tube next time!), and to make matters worse, the first train to Essex on a Sunday morning is at 06:35, so I had a fair few hours to kill in the middle of the night.

Heron Tower

Heron Tower

Being in a photography kind of mood, I spent a few hours walking around near the station, looking for interesting stuff to take pictures of. It being Saturday night, there were plenty of people on the street. I tried to be discreet, but seeing that there were several people who stopped and suggested that I took a picture of them, I can’t have been very good at the discreet thing. No worries, as long as I got a few decent pictures, I don’t mind one way or the other whether people were deliberately posing.

I still had the 85/1.4 on the camera from the gig, and it worked fine for a bit of nighttime street photography. The wide aperture certainly helped with the low light.

Eventually I got tired. Pulling an all-nighter doesn’t get any easier by starting with getting intoxicated. The last couple of hours felt very long as I wandered between the station (cold, hard plastic benches) and a cafe across the street (nice warm coffee, bacon sarnie) several times, and when I finally got home around half seven in the morning, I was more than ready for bed!

Be Sociable, Share!


  1. Great photos Tomas. Can’t believe you spent the night at liverpool st. You should have called and come and stayed in kilburn!

    • Thanks Joanne. In hindsight, that would have been a lot smarter. However, the reason I got stranded in the first place, was that the tube had stopped running. so I probaly also wouldn’t have been able to make it to Kilburn. It was fun though. Until around 4 a.m., at which time it started to be tiresome.

Leave a Reply